After being complimented on numerous occasions for our products acting as a wonderful teaching tool in EAL situations, we have decided to compile a guide for all teachers who wish to use these resources with children whose first language is not English.
Our ethos is all about using real-life stimulus to inspire children's learning. Films can be paused and played, meaning the practitioner is completely in charge of the pace of learning.
TOP TIPS FOR USING OUR PRODUCTS WITH EAL CHILDREN...
- Don’t pressurize EAL children to copy all the role-play language. Instead, encourage them to role-play a scenario, enabling them to take part without speaking.
- Rich and varied environments support children’s learning. Why not use Early Vison’s resources to extend your role-play area outside?
- Children need time to think, reflect and quietly absorb language. Replay the footage to reinforce the language used in each scenario.
- Help children to make their own decisions after watching the the film clips. Encourage them to tell you exactly what materials they need to create their own role-play world.
- Make role-play real and relevant to the children. Take photos of your local vets/pharmacy etc, so children can relate onscreen action to their own experiences.
Back to News